- Shows marked WXPN are, unless otherwise marked, FM master recordings
of The World Cafe
radio program (schedule), which I receive via WXPN, 88.5 FM
in Philadelphia. The World Cafe is a syndicated 2-hour program which
usually features a small live set which is generally about 20-25 minutes long, sometimes longer, occasionally shorter. These sessions are part live performance and part interview.
- Shows marked Mountain Stage are, unless otherwise marked, FM master recordings of the Mountain Stage radio program (schedule), which I also receive on WXPN.
- Shows marked Y100 Sonic Session are, unless otherwise
marked, FM master recordings of the "Y100 Sonic Sessions", occasional
locally-recorded live sessions broadcast on WPLY in Philadelphia.
- FM masters are radio broadcasts digitally recorded
with my PC. As of December 2000 I am using a Midiman Audiophile
2496 for sampling, prior to that I used a Diamond MX300. Sound quality is
generally excellent, A/A+; those marked A- have not-quite-perfect
reception (minor reception warble may be audible in quiet sections).
With that said, I grade FM extremely hard, based on headphone listening;
an FM A- is generally still much better than an audience A-.
- Shows marked "DAT master" are audience recordings done with
a Sony M1 DAT and Core Sound binaural mics, transferred
digitally to PC via a Core Sound 7pin->S/PDIF cable and (as
of December 2000) a Midiman Audiophile
2496 digital I/O card. When resampling to 44k is necessary I
use Cool Edit 2000 set to maximum conversion quality.
Transfers done prior to 12/00 used a Sound Blaster Live (which
resamples incoming S/PDIF to the desired rate).
Back to the list
Michael Edmonson <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Last modified: Thu Jul 12 00:04:37 2001